May 08, 2023

I CAN Smile

Though I’m called The Blue Grumpster for a reason, not everything I say and do involves a bleak worldview or a lack of faith in humanity. Here’s what made me smile today.

Scroll down and take a peek. That’s right, flowers always brighten up my internal sky, and a beautiful plant has pretty much the same effect. No, I havent lost my marbles. I was just working in my brand new garden, trying to get rid of that poor excuse for a lawn, when my eye fell on the beautiful clematis soothing in the spring sun on top of my favorite south-facing fence. 

Here she is. What do you think I should call her?


Yes, sir. (Yes, ma’am, too.) Isn’t she a sight for sore eyes? It's true, that fence needs some TLC, but that clematis doesn’t need my help whatsoever. Just my admiration, is all. 

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for my peony bush to share it splendor and make me jealous of the peaceful life it’s been leading in what hopefully one day will be a garden I want to die in. Figuratively speaking, of course. Hello.... I’m only 53. (Well, almost.) 

Here’s the pretty fellow. I call him Bob. 



Hello, Bob.

And then, when I was back in the living room, minding my own business, I noticed these beauties.


Peonies.
Peonies.
Peonies.

You may see a pattern there. Anything to make the Missus like me even more. Did you know that peonies are symbolic of love, honor, happiness, wealth, romance and beauty? I had no idea. Wikipedia just told me.

So as spring is well and truly starting to brighten up my days, and that darker shade of blue is temporarily being traded in for a somewhat lighter shade of grumpy, I salute you with a big smile on my face, and wish you all a happy spring. 

Blue

P.S. Who would’ve thought that flowers can make me forget about all the lying politicians in this world and that nasty agenda I don’t even want to get into? Not today. Not when I’m surrounded by beauty. Almost free of charge.



24 comments:

  1. Bob! Great name.
    Almost forget. Almost forget the person ramming our country into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like Millicent to me, call her that!
    Bob is lovely, peonies are my fave flowers next to tulips. We are currently seeing the end of lily of the valley and lilacs and violet and yellow irises are opening right now.
    PS I thought you was surrounded by beauty every time you look at your nekkid self in the mirror... No? No? Da scandal..... Unless it is hanging of course, but there is prettiness in hanging stuff too.... Like the hanging heads of peonies.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS isn't it a bit modest of you to put a 100,000 reward after yourself? I would have thought a million at least....

      Delete
    2. Da scandal indeed. You naughty guy. Some things don't ever change haha. As for the reward, I guess modesty does come with age after all. Ten years from now we may have to drop another zero.

      Delete
  3. It’s fun to see photos of your life, Blue. Beautiful flowers. Here at Maison Bijoux, we are on the final days of daffodils, with irises and azaleas up to bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O I love me some daffodils, the poem included. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. SO PRETTY! I'm jealous and yes, they make me happy too. I love peonies and that clematis fence is whimsical. Call her Moon Milk. I stop to admire this stretch of white clematis on the way back from church on Sundays.

    I feel like i don't have luck with growing flowers. I keep many leafy plants and I have a corner in my living room I call my little Forest. Just pots of various leafy plants in various height and shapes. I do have a peace lily and orange hibiscus.

    It's autumn going on winter here so no more flowers really. When the jacarandas are in season in spring, it's really a sea of purple for as far as my eyes can see from my balcony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moon Milk... I like the sound of that. No more flowers when winter is afoot? How rude.

      Thanks for stopping by again. If memory serves, you were one of the first people to visit my old blig over a decade ago. I hope you're doing fine.

      Blue

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yes, one of the firsts. I'm glad to have found a few people here I can connect with.

      Delete
    3. I remember those days. You and Jules I met around the same time. Were we young or were we young? I'm pretty sure it's over a decade ago. I wasn't even ill yet, so I'm guessing 2010. I still have that drawing somewhere featuring the one and only JJ.

      Delete
  5. I'm not much of a flower person but when I compliment a flower it's definitely a compliment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flowers are so pretty. My daughter planted a small garden near our door and this one little purple/blue flower bloomed and just made me happy. It's such a pretty color and I have no idea what the flower is. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means you really love it. No need to know the name. You look at it and it puts a smile on your face.

      Delete
  7. I am definitely a flower person, I do recall writing a poem
    about blue roses for someone;) There are no roses here yet
    but lilacs and tulips are in bloom. Flowers and spring make my
    heart sing. Yes, they do. Yours are lovely and I am glad you
    found something to make you smile.

    What type of flower wold you be?
    Would you be a spring or summer bloom
    Would your vibrant color light up the room
    Would your scent follow you everywhere
    Would your tu-lips whisper, ‘I care’

    Tell me blue, tell be true….

    What type of flower would you be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call her Flora for her aura, after the goddess of flowers and gardens

      Delete
    2. So now I'm wondering.... Did I or didn't I once write a poem srating with the line, "If you were a flowers,..."? I don't recall, but that doesn't mean a thing these days.

      Flora sounds great. How are you, True?

      Delete
  8. Hi Blue I do recall your ‘If you Were A Flower and all your other wonderful poems in the ‘If You Were’ series. Where did they all go? Did they disappear with the years? Time is a fickle thing, it’s gone, it’s now, it hasn’t arrived. “The Mother Of Thyme” creeping along in the garden of life.

    How am I? Better than I was, maybe spring has given me hope or just offers a distraction in the scope of reality.

    Perhaps, we are ‘BlueStars’ blooming in the universal garden…

    Hmm all this flowery conversation has planted a seed where a poetic song can grow. Always upward, my friend….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all went into outer space when I shut down my old blog. I do have them somewhere, but where... Anyway, good to hear you're better than you were before. Spring is the ultimate distraction, bringing hope and a reason to start anew.

      Sleep tight. Don't let the blue bugs bite.

      Delete
  9. I'd call her, Whimsy. Because she's charming and whimsical, brightening the world with her color.

    I like your flowers!

    Did you know you and I are the same age? No? Now you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I didn't know, Sherry. The next step for me to take is to look as young as you do. I wonder if there's a magic flower that can help me pull that off.

      Whimsy... I like the sound of that.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you :) It still needs a lot of work, though.

      Delete