December 12, 2022

That Human Parrot

Toxic masculinity! Fake news! Climate change! Build back better! Weapons of mass destruction! The human parrot is on a roll making all the right sounds echoing the so-called news.

So I woke up thinking, How many parrots does it take to bring down the country? I'm talking human parrots. You may have seen them frequenting your favorite place of business. You may have seen them cross the street showing off their feathers. You may have even seen one in the mirror. 

Then again, human parrots have this very special talent. In addition to being able to flawlessly and relentlessly echo the news, they are completely blind to critical thinking. "What's that?" you say. Critical thinking. The ability to cut throught the BS even if it smells so bad in here you want to swallow a hanky and set it on fire hoping something will explode. 

To put it bluntly, human parrots don't see what's staring them in the face. They look in the mirror and see human beauty, but here's the thing. Like Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), there's no way you will ever know if you're still you. You touch your nose thinking it's your nose. The problem is... birds don't have noses. But what do you know? You hear "Toxic Masculinity!" and start parroting away.

But I know you're smarter than that.
I know you want to get to the bottom of this parrot business.

Here's how you can tell if you're still you. Count the number of times you say "Toxic!" on a weekly basis. There's an app that does that for you. It's like that step counter counting the number of steps you take as you casually walk your way through life but only different. Consider it an extra health check. Count the number of times you say "Climate change!" on a weekly basis. Or "Fake news!" Now, I hope you're not one of those über-parrots that say, "Build Back Better!" There's no app to save you then. I can tell you right now.

Come to think of it, what we need is one of those lenses they used in The Fifth Wave (2016) to spot an intruder. Instead of seeing a parasite, you'd look through your lense and think, Well, lo and behold. We've found ourselves some human parrots  green and pink and blue (because we like diversity) but feathery nevertheless. Chloë would be so disappointed, though I think feathers would look good on her. 

"Misogyny!" 
O go sit on a stick and whistle.

The good news is there are fewer human parrots around than in the year 2020. The bad news is we're still very much outnumbered. We're still surrounded by those gurgles and squawks and trills, but there is hope as many are turning silent and quietly morph back into their human form. 

Just don't do the Chicken Dance just yet. 

* * *





20 comments:

  1. Well Blue rhetorical Question in what way do those parrots differ from the mockingbird (media)? https://youtu.be/_fHfgU8oMSo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like to scream 'Misandry' on a daily basis! Because I find new reasons on a daily basis to do so! We live in a misandric world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a feat to make both men and women alike hate men, especially the white kind. I so miss the eighties. Heck, I miss the seventies.

      Delete
    2. Of course you do, the seventies had the best of orgies.... after Nero.

      Delete
    3. Damn, Dez. Where do you get your intel?

      Delete
  3. Hi Blue! Some of the squawks and trills are amusing, some are downright frightening. All's well here. Hoping the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Rosey. All is well. Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  4. Hello how are doing ?? Hope you are well and happy! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria!!! Long time no see. I'm doing fine. Always tired but fine nevertheless. How are you doing?

      Delete
  5. I know a few people just like this. I try not to sound like this at all. I hope you are doing alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you try not to sound like this. I'm doing fine. Thank you for asking. Looking forward to Christmas.

      Delete
  6. OMG! What an outstanding and appropriate post for the times we live in. I thought you and I must have some mental link when you mentioned the Invasion of the Body Snatchers because just yesterday I was looking for a meme that included something about an "empty pod" but couldn't quite find what I wanted so I gave up and didn't have time to make my own.

    Like children, some people are going to mimic what they hear especially all the political rhetoric that gets tossed around constantly until the word or words they use have absolutely no impact, no flavor or meaning anymore...like chewing gum they lose their flavor on the bedpost overnight. I think that's the whole point...we become a society of desensitized idiots who don't know which end is up because someone is always telling us what to think and when to think it. We become divided too easily and forget that we're supposed to all be on the same side. I'm afraid there isn't a "same side" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more. And I don't get it, because politicians used to be mistrusted by the majority of people. I guess fear and the power of repetition is all it takes. The other thing is that people seek instant gratification. They want to feel great all the time, free of charge if possible. So when people like us point out that critical thinking is key, they get upset because being critical and thinking critically is hard work and is seen as something negative.

      Thanks for your excellent comment.

      Blue

      Delete
  7. Hey Blue! Riddle me this: Can we use the term Fake News when talking about the other parrot talk?

    I’m stealing ‘sit on a stick and whistle’!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to consult my pal, Batman. Good question.
      Steal right away!

      I hope you're doing fine.

      Blue

      Don't let the bedbugs bite.

      Delete
  8. Yep. Those parrots sure like to squawk, don't they?

    ReplyDelete