I'm talking coworkers who love reinventing the wheel, except somehow they manage to make your car go slower each time they do it. Coworkers who need to get their hours in, so naturally, they love meetings. Managers and "coordinators" who apparently get paid for every mandatory one-on-one and every pointless meeting. Managers who scare the hell out of you when they say, "Here's an idea..."
And don’t even get me started on coworkers' communication skills. You tell someone with a Ph.D. six months ahead of time, "I can only teach on Thursdays," and then half a year down the line, right before the first semester starts, you get asked if we could postpone my Wednesday classes. Wednesday classes?
Of course, it doesn’t stop with coworkers. No, Sir. A week can have plenty in store for all of us.
Did I mention that I have to replace my laptop, and everything that can go wrong with that because these days everything is set up to make things as convenient as possible for the customer? You buy a laptop, and yet somehow it doesn’t really feel like it belongs to you. Back in the day, you bought software and that was that. It was yours. Now, all kinds of things get changed without your permission. They call it updates. I’m starting to wonder if that’s really the right word. Update this!
What about the gym? There was a time when they gave you this little cardboard membership card, stamped it once a month, and you were good to go. Bob was your uncle. And, guess what, they'd say hello in the process like actual human beings do. Then they put in metal turnstiles. And when something goes wrong with the system, and you’ve paid your membership but the system somehow has no idea that you have, there you are, standing in front of some cold, impersonal gate. Because apparently everything is being made so much easier for the paying customer.
Anyway, I just needed to get that off my chest. My name is Blue for a reason. I hope y’all’s week has been going well and that the sun is shining.
Moody Blue
P.S. Speaking of which, you may want to sing along with you little blue friend:
Well, it's hard to be a gambler
Bettin' on the number
That changes ev'ry time
Well, you think you're gonna win
Think she's givin' in
A stranger's all you find
Yeah, it's hard to figure out
What she's all about
That she's a woman through and through
She's a complicated lady,
So color my baby a moody blue.
* * *

No comments:
Post a Comment