September 02, 2026

Sometimes You're Up, Sometimes... Not So Much

You know those people at work who somehow manage to make everything harder than it needs to be? You do? Say it ain't so. 


I'm talking coworkers who love reinventing the wheel, except somehow they manage to make your car go slower each time they do it. Coworkers who need to get their hours in, so naturally, they love meetings. Managers and "coordinators" who apparently get paid for every mandatory one-on-one and every pointless meeting. Managers who scare the hell out of you when they say, "Here's an idea..."

And don’t even get me started on coworkers' communication skills. You tell someone with a Ph.D. six months ahead of time, "I can only teach on Thursdays," and then half a year down the line, right before the first semester starts, you get asked if we could postpone my Wednesday classes. Wednesday classes?

Breathe in..... breathe out.....

Of course, it doesn’t stop with coworkers. No, Sir. A week can have plenty in store for all of us. Did I mention that I have to replace my laptop, and everything that can go wrong with that because these days everything is set up to make things as convenient as possible for the customer? You buy a laptop, and yet somehow it doesn’t really feel like it belongs to you. Back in the day, you bought software and that was that. It was yours. Now, all kinds of things get changed without your permission. They call it updates. I’m starting to wonder if that’s really the right word. Update this! 

What about the gym? There was a time when they gave you this little cardboard membership card, stamped it once a month, and you were good to go. Bob was your uncle. And, guess what, they'd say hello in the process like actual human beings do. Then they put in metal turnstiles and speed gates. And when something goes wrong with the system, and you’ve paid your membership but the system somehow has no idea that you have, there you are, standing in front of some cold, impersonal gate. Because apparently everything is being made so much easier for the paying customer. 

Anyway, I just needed to get that off my chest. My name is Blue for a reason. I hope y’all’s week has been going well and that the sun is shining brightly. 

Moody Blue

P.S. Speaking of which, you may want to sing along with you little blue friend:

Well, it's hard to be a gambler 
Bettin' on the number 
That changes ev'ry time 
Well, you think you're gonna win 
Think she's givin' in 
A stranger's all you find 
Yeah, it's hard to figure out 
What she's all about 
That she's a woman through and through 
She's a complicated lady, 
So color my baby a moody blue.

* * *


10 comments:

  1. The only thing they make easy is for them to justify their job, and to fire the low didums because they are redundant. Meanwhile them and their stupid meetings about nonsense that doesn't even need to be addressed are redundant and useless.

    Other than that, everything is a subscription. Can't have anything these days because they have to suck every last dime out of you to use something that you could use just fine without a subscription years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Pat. Can't top that. Just don't shoot anyone just yet, okay?

      Delete
  2. Hi Blue,

    A great song choice. I am singing with you...yes, I am.

    Oh, moody blue
    Tell me, am I gettin' through?
    I keep hangin' on
    Tryin' to learn your song
    But I never do
    Oh, moody blue

    now how about a drink to forget about the day....

    a bottle of red, a bottle of white, whatever kind of mood you're in tonight

    PS - Hopefully, your week gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's say I hope your week's been a better one, True. How are you? A bottle of red, please. I very much love your singing.

      Delete
  3. Desktops and iPads get those as well - those nasty updates that are supposed to make things run better. But all they do is screw with your system.
    I do have a co-worker who is a perfectionist and will spend a week trying to make one little thing better when it should've taken him an hour.
    What gym do you go to? Thanks goodness ours still just has the card you scan. One beep and I'm in. Or wait two seconds for the next person to enter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasty is the right word. The industry wants to take away the customers' ownership. Just our university rec center. I hope you're doing fine, Alex. Thanks for stopping by again.

      Delete
  4. I'm no longer in the workplace, but I hear the exact same things from my husband. And I have to laugh at your class scheduling because Middle Child has that happen to her at the library. Her supervisor (has a master's degree) can't seem to read requests for days off forms, nor can she add hours worked per week correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her supervisor's master's degree isn't worth diddly-squat, and I'm not surprised either.

      Delete
  5. I replaced my laptop at the beginning of the year because I was still using Windows 8. lol I now have Windows 11 and Copilot whether I want the AI or not. It took me a few days to get everything over to the new laptop but I'm used to this one now, so good luck. I hope it goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, all I need is a time-machine. Just the one. I'd go back to 1985 and be happy to mind my own business without that iPhone 1000, FB, Insta and what not. But I'm glad you managed to get everything over to your new laptop. Come to think of it, I'll probably need to replace my own, too. But my washing machine just broke down, as in an hour ago, so it'll have to wait. Good thing money doesn't make a person happy. Right.

      Delete