August 20, 2022

Better Keep It Short (Rant Continued)

Blue, Why do you blog? Because I can't afford a psychologist, Doc. I like to rant and get some feedback free of charge. I'm modern. Well, make yourself comfortable on this virtual couch and tell me whatever springs to mind. love couches, Doc. Go ahead. It doesn't have to be structured or even make sense.

The world is becoming more superficial. More impatient. More greedy. "Greed,"Gekko said in the mid-eighties, "is good." It seems to me somebody's been listening. We demand instant gratification. We want the best and we want it now, free of charge preferred and often expected. Of course, we don't put it that way, Doc. Today's us, you and me, is politically correct. So we say we've got high standards. We pretend life is about high standards even when it's not. It's about our next quick fix. Like Blogger Light. Some call it Facebook. It's about look at me and say I'm nice, say I'm good, say you know me and they know you and us is us. Numbers over content. Ten times one, not one times ten. Quantity is the new quality.

I need help, Doc. I read somewhere there was a time when being busy meant you focus. Commitment. Like reading a 400 page book. Now it means reading snippets. Fifty words here, a hundred there, and if you're lucky or if you're an asset to my PR system, you'll get a whopping fifteen minutes of my precious time, so you'd better not make that text too hard or I won't finish reading it.

Which brings me to blogging, Doc. I know it's always been about getting noticed but we're talking serious numbers now, volumes, a tsunami of thumbs up or thumbs down. We cut and paste and call it an achievement. 

What do you think, Doc? Am I losing it? Who am I talking to anyway?

* * *



1 comment:

  1. Randy, oh, Mandy, why are you writing your posts in a backward order?
    I love couches too, probably for different reasons than you, though.....

    ReplyDelete